Did we really just win that game? Some random thoughts after the Razorbacks’ crazy comeback win over Texas A&M.
- [singlepic id=358 w=240 h=180 float=right]When things looked bleak Saturday, Tyler Wilson and Jarius Wright kept the Hogs in the game with record-setting, career performances. Wilson gutted the middle of the A&M secondary for 510 passing yards and three touchdowns. Wright’s 13 receptions for 281 yards were both single game school records.
- Wright especially just would not be denied Saturday. The captain’s 281 yard performance was the second most in SEC history, and moves him all the way up to third in the Arkansas record books with 2,295 career receiving yards.
- Great to see Broderick Green return from injury and help lift the Hogs down the stretch. Green’s two touchdowns, along with Dennis Johnson’s 123 total yards (54 rush, 69 receiving) gave the Hogs some much needed punch out of the backfield.
- True freshman Tevin Mitchel played solid in relief of injured cornerback Darius Winston. Mitchel led the team in tackles with 13 and recorded a third quarter fumble recovery to aid the comeback.
- Honorable Mention: When they had to rise up and stop the Aggies late, the Razorback defense stuffed Christine Michael for no gain on fourth-and-2 with 1:20 remaining in the game. D.D. Jones, Byran Jones and Zach Stadther all got great penetration, as linebacker Alonzo Highsmith cleaned it up. However, that leads us to…
- Pathetic and embarrassing don’t fully describe the defensive performance in the first half. The Hogs only stop was an interception by Greg Gatson, as the Aggies rolled up 404 total yards, including a staggering 225 yards on the ground (8.7 yards per carry).
- [singlepic id=373 w=180 h=240 float=right]Why Texas A&M even attempted a pass is beyond us. We surmise Coach Mike Sherman must have gotten bored after ripping off 8, 10, 12 yards a play. To average 7.1 yards per carry (54 carries)…and LOSE??? Oh my. “The stats don’t matter,” said Aggie quarterback Ryan Tannehill. Guess he’s right.
- Honorable Mention: The disturbing trend of injuries continued on Saturday. Joe Adams (ribs), Darius Winston (knee), and Robert Thomas (leg) all left during the game. Normal starters Jake Bequette and Isaac Madison dressed, but couldn’t go.
- You can talk about the missed tackles all you want, but we lost the line of scrimmage badly the entire game. Tremendously disappointing given that the defensive line was supposed to be the strength of this year’s defense. Many of the missed tackles were 8-10 yards down the field, after the Aggies had rolled us back.
- 14 penalties for 112 yards should get you beat most of the time. Especially disturbing were the four personal foul penalties called on the Hogs for some really stupid plays — all dead ball situations. The 14 penalties are the fourth most in school history for a single game. Can’t have this.
Of course, we can’t possibly mention everything that was “Good, Bad and Ugly.” What did we leave out?