Here’s a few thoughts after watching the Hogs’ marathon 160+ play scrimmage on Saturday morning.
- Going for almost two and a half hours in front of 500+ fans, the Hogs’ scrimmage was fast paced from start to finish. The offense looked good but the way the Hogs played on defense, especially against the run, was very encouraging.
- Still no contact for Knile Davis. Dennis Johnson ran well in his place and incoming freshman running backs Jonathan Williams and Nate Holmes showed a lot of promise throughout the scrimmage against the two’s and three’s. Both scored on nice TD runs.
- No snaps for Brandon Mitchell at quarterback today. All of his work was at wide receiver where he made some nice catches, including a 25-yard TD pass from Tyler Wilson on the first drive.
- QB Brandon Allen took all of the snaps with the second team and most of the third team reps. Third string QB Brian Buehner had one nice highlight, gaining 30+ yards on an option keeper on a fourth down play.
- Defensive Coordinator Paul Haynes had us smiling, though, as the defense ruled the day. The run defense was especially outstanding despite playing without injured middle linebacker Tenarius Wright, who was held out again. Very encouraging.
- True freshman linebacker Otha Peters (6-1, 235) again showed why he’s in the mix to play early. Peters looked solid, even in pass coverage where he picked off a Tyler Wilson pass in drop zone coverage and took it to the house for a defensive touchdown.
- A few other tidbits… Sophomore cornerback Tevin Mitchel (6-0, 192) had a very good day, displaying tight coverage and several pass breakups. … On the offensive line, guard Alvin Bailey was back working exclusively with the first team offensive line. Bailey, center Travis Swanson and tackle Brey Cook seem to be solid as starters. … Tackles David Hurd and Chris Stringer are working at the other tackle spot, while Luke Charpentier and Tyler Deacon got most of the work at the other guard spot. … Tackle Jason Peacock was working mainly with the two’s and three’s.
- ArkansasRazorbacks.com: Post-scrimmage Press Conference (Video)
- WholeHogSports.com (Video): Kiero Small, Cobi Hamilton, Trey Flowers
- Matt Jones: Defense highlights first full preseason scrimmage, First preseason scrimmage stats
- Chris Bahn: Defense Turns In Impressive Showing In First Full Scrimmage Of Razorback Camp
- Nate Allen: Hog D scores a dozen sacks and pick 6 in scrimmage
- Robbie Neiswanger: Arkansas Defense Impresses During Scrimmage, Arkansas Holds Davis Out Of Scrimmage; Johnson Returns To Lead Ground Game