Some random thoughts after the Razorbacks’ beatdown on the road at Texas A&M.
- [singlepic id=1575 w=240 h=180 float=right]Congratulations to Dennis Johnson for breaking the SEC record for career kickoff return yardage (2,755 yards and counting). Granted…it took playing on some teams that had historically bad defenses in order to attain this accomplishment. But if the new kickoff rules stay in effect, it may be a very long time before this record is broken.
We’ll let you decide…which one of these staggering facts were the “worst of the bad” on Saturday?
- Aggie quarterback Johnny Manziel shattered the SEC record for total yards in a game (557), breaking a record shared by Archie Manning of Ole Miss (1969). Watching the Hogs chase “Johnny Football” (as Andre Ware dubbed him 10,000 times during the telecast) was laughable at times.
- After putting together a solid first quarter that saw the Hogs leading 10-7, A&M reeled off 20 unanswered points in the second quarter. In the last three games, the Razorbacks have been outscored 51-0 in the second quarter.
- With the game’s outcome completely decided, John L. Smith and Paul Petrino continued to trot out Tyler Wilson in the fourth quarter. Wilson continued to take hits after delivering his throws as the Aggies teed off. This, even after A&M had pulled their starters. Mindless decision.
[singlepic id=1577 w=240 h=180 float=right]The Ugly
- Paul Petrino needs to do a little more coaching and a little less yelling. While we know Tyler Wilson has made a few mistakes this season, the seemingly constant berating he took from Paul Petrino on the sidelines again on Saturday is getting a bit old. Note to Paul: You might want to ease up a bit, brother…Tyler might be your only friend in this state right now.
Of course, we can’t possibly mention everything that was “Good, Bad and Ugly” in a game that was the third worst conference loss since 1992. What did we leave out?