Some random thoughts after the Razorbacks 38-10 beat down loss to #24 ranked LSU Saturday in Fayetteville.
- Let’s start Rawleigh Williams III, who topped the 1,000 yard plateau for the first time in his Razorback career. Williams finished the game with 49 yards on 13 carries, and now has 1,004 yards on the season. Bret Bielema has had at least one player rush for 1,000 yard in each of his 11 seasons as a head coach.
- It was really cool during the pregame to see a sign on the trailer hauling in our mascot ‘Tusk’ pay respect to former LSU Tiger mascot Mike VI. The sign read: “In loving memory of Mike VI. 2005-2016.” Mike died in October from cancer. From Bob Holt in the ADG: “LSU’s first tiger mascot – Mike I – was purchased from the Little Rock Zoo in 1936 for $750. Mike I lived to be 20 years old.”
- It was painful to watch the LSU offensive line, play after play, move the line of scrimmage. We can talk about shitty linebacker play all we want, but when the front four (or five in some cases) are getting pushed back into that second level, you have no chance as a defense. Leonard Fournette (98 RuYds) and Derrius Guice (252 RuYds) seemingly would hit the hole and not get touched until they were 3-4 yards beyond the line of scrimmage. LSU rushed for 390 yards on their way to 547 total yards on the night.
- For as good as the Razorback offensive line played last week, they could not move LSU’s front seven at all. Not counting Devwah Whaley’s 34-yard, second quarter scamper, and Williams 18-yard run in the third quarter, the Hogs managed just 29 yards on the other 22 carries. The unit also allowed another 3 sacks Saturday and now ranks 92nd nationally in sacks allowed with 25.
- This is officially the worst rushing defense IN THE HISTORY OF ARKANSAS FOOTBALL. The Hogs are last nationally…repeat LAST NATIONALLY…128th out of 128 in rushing yards allowed per attempt (6.34). They have surrendered a school record 29 rushing touchdowns this season, breaking last year’s record of 25…another Robb Smith coached unit. Oh, and by the way, we still have TWO GAMES left to go. To paraphrase the late, great Denny Green…’We are who we thought we were’.
Of course, we can’t possibly mention everything that was “Good, Bad and Ugly.” What did we leave out?