Some random thoughts after watching a very, very ugly game.
- The weather was beautiful. Some fog in the morning but sunny and nice at game time. The pre-game flyover was awesome, as usual.
- Former track coach John McDonnell received a long, well-deserved ovation after a ceremony recognizing his legendary career at halftime. I even saw several Alabama fans standing up and applauding. Very classy.
- The Razorback band’s playful tribute to the Michael Jackson video “Thriller” at halftime was fun and drew one of the bigger cheers for the band in years.
- In case you haven’t noticed, we’ve basically said that the weather and the halftime festivities were the highlights of the day for Razorback fans. Everything else was either in the bad or ugly category. (Okay…Michael Smith had a pretty good game.)
- Of all the bad things from Saturday, the tackling was the worst. Incredibly, Alabama scored 21 points on offense in just 20 plays (12 rush, 8 pass) in the first half. Give the Tide offense credit for good execution. But also give the Hogs’ defense a little ‘credit’ for not showing up.
- The two interceptions by Casey Dick were the ugliest throws we have ever seen him make. Throwing off his back foot after being hit in the mouth a few times led up to the ill-advised throws. They did make for good SportsCenter highlights, though, for Alabama.
- The student section — always the first to show up in wild support — were the first to pack it in and leave when things went bad on Saturday. I guess some would say they were smarter than those of us who stayed until the bitter end.
Walking on Sunshine also contributed to this post.